Standard is a Constructed rotating format where you build decks using cards from the most recently released Magic sets. Evolving gameplay and fresh strategies make it one of the most popular ways to play.
Which expansion can i use in Standard?
- Battle for Zendikar
- Oath of the Gatewatch
- Shadows over Innistrad
- Eldritch Moon
- Aether Revolt (From January 2017)
Cards from the Welcome Deck 2016 may also be played in Standard.
Tip & Tricks: Some cards in Standard have alternate versions or were also printed in older sets, and it’s okay to use those cards in your deck. If you’re not sure about a card, look it up on magiccards.info or Gatherer.
How Do I Build A Standard Deck?
- Your deck must be at least 60 cards.
- Up to 15 cards may be included in your sideboard, if you use one.
- You must include no more than four copies of any individual card in your main deck and sideboard combined (except basic lands).
- There’s no maximum deck size, as long as you can shuffle your deck in your hands unassisted.
How Does Set Rotation Work?
Each year, four Magic sets are released and added to Standard. Those sets are grouped into two-set blocks (For example: Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch are a block). Once per year, when the first set of the second block releases, the two oldest blocks in Standard rotate out.